MRCOG Part 2 is an examination for evaluating the application of knowledge of medical aspirants in clinical scenarios. Besides, various MRCOG courses are available for you to choose from that can help you clear this exam with ease.
Before enrolling in an MRCOG course make sure that you are well aware of the exam pattern.
MRCOG Part 2 is a computer-based test. The CBT consists of two papers. Moreover, both the papers are worth the same number of points. Paper 1 and Paper 2 each account for 50% of the final grade. Lastly, there are two different question types on each paper:
Single-Best Answers (SBAs) account for 40% of the final grade.
Each question includes the following:
– A lead-in statement or a question.
– A-E represents the five options on the list.
– There is no negative marking.
– Incorrect answers are marked zero.
Extended Matching Questions (EMQs) account for 60% of the final grade.
– Each question includes a lead-in statement. It further tells you clearly what to do with a list of 10-14 possible options to choose from.
– It may seem like there are multiple options. But you must only select the option with the highest likelihood.
– There is no negative marking.
The duration for the exam is 3 hours for each paper. Furthermore, there will be 50 SBAs and 50 EMQs for each paper. Lunch break is approximately one hour between both the papers. To effectively further manage time, RCOG advises to devote 110 minutes to EMQs and 70 minutes to SBAs.
The SBAs and EMQs share a single pass mark. Besides, there is a composite pass grade that is established by establishing standards for each exam.
A total of 40% of the final grade is determined by the SBA component. The remaining 60% is determined by the EMQ component. Considering this, applicants must devote roughly 40% of their time to the SBA component and roughly 60% to the EMQ component.
In order to be eligible to sit for the MRCOG Part 2 Exam, candidates must first pass the MRCOG Part 1 Exam. To enter into the UK Specialist register, you must clear both Part 1 and Part 2 within 6 attempts only.
Candidates are only allowed a total of 6 chances to pass the MRCOG Part 1 and Part 2 tests.
Candidates are required to fill the Expression of Interest form, within the stipulated time.
The MRCOG Part 2 exam is conducted twice a year.
The exam fee is 523 pounds in the UK and Republic of Ireland. The fee is 631 pounds in countries that come under Band A, 544 pounds in countries that come under Band B and 434 pounds in countries that come under band C
India comes under Band B. The fee for the candidates with exam centers in India is 544 pounds. After the successful submission of the Expression of Interest form, candidates will receive an email regarding the opening date of the application window.
Candidates can then choose the examination country and pay the required exam fee.
The standard setting ensures fair examination and accurately determines the candidate’s performance. The pass marks and the pass rate vary according to exam sitting as there is no fixed level or quota.
The Angoff method entails the evaluation of each question by a group of subject matter experts. They estimate the likelihood that a borderline applicant would know the answer. The final pass mark is calculated by averaging these estimates and adding them to the measurement standard error.
A measurement of an assessment’s accuracy is its standard error of measurement. It serves as a function of both the standard deviation of observed results and test’s reliability and reveals the degree of variability in a test given to a group.
Linear equating method is used to guarantee identical standards across subsequent examination diets. By assessing and comparing candidate performance on a small number of anchored (repeated) and un-anchored questions, this technique adjusts for the relative difficulty of the papers by comparing the current results to those of previous diets.
Hope you found this information helpful. Enroll in an MRCOG course to prepare for your exam preparation. Good Luck!